Capital market-relevant press releases, 2004-05-14, 02:00 AM
ThyssenKrupp in the 1st half 2003/2004: Group earnings in the 1st half 541 million euros / Increases in earnings, order intake and sales
The overall economic environment continued to brighten in the first months of 2004, impacting positively on ThyssenKrupp`s performance. Sales and in particular order intake increased significantly. The Group`s income before taxes and minority interest reached 541 million euros in the 1st half, compared to 391 million euros in the first half of the prior year. This includes the revenue from the disposal of Triaton and the earnings of the last six months in the amount of 129 million euros. Excluding the earnings contribution from Triaton, earnings amounted to 412 million euros.
The highlights for the 2nd quarter and the first six months of fiscal 2003/2004 were as follows:
- Order intake in the reporting quarter was 10.7 billion euros, up 18% from the corresponding prior-year figure, and 20.3 billion euros in the 1st half 2003/2004 (prior year: 18.1 billion euros).
- Sales in the 2nd quarter were 9.8 billion euros, up 7% from a year earlier. Sales in the first six months amounted to 18.5 billion euros (prior year: 17.8 billion euros).
- Income from continuing operations before income taxes and minority interest amounted to 249 million euros in the 2nd quarter. Excluding the 41 million euros gain on the sale of the quarto plate operations in the prior-year period, income increased by 42 million euros or 20%.
- Earnings per share from continuing operations reached 0.31 euro in the reporting quarter, compared to 0.26 euro in the prior-year period. Excluding the nonrecurring quarto plate effect in the 2nd quarter 2002/2003, normalized earnings per share from continuing operations rose to 0.31 euro from 0.22 euro. Earnings per share from discontinued operations amounted to 0.25 euro in the 2nd quarter 2003/2004, giving total earnings per share of 0.56 euro.
- The Group`s net financial payables amounted to 4,280 million euros at March 31, 2004, 45 million euros more than on September 30, 2003 and 651 million euros less than on March 31, 2003.
Chairman of the Executive Board, Prof. Dr. Ekkehard D. Schulz: "For the 2nd half of fiscal 2003/2004 we currently expect an unchanged economic environment, even though the risks of an economic weakening have increased. For the full year we forecast sales in the magnitude of roughly 38 billion euros. In terms of earnings before taxes, excluding the effects of disposals, we aim to get as close as possible to 1 billion euros. With support from the economy and without major fluctuations in the currency and raw material markets, we could pass the 1 billion euros mark this year".
The full interim report is available in German and English online and downloadable versions at www.thyssenkrupp.com/fr/03-04-q2/en/ .
Dr. Jürgen Claassen
Corporate Communications, Strategy, and Executive Affairs
Tel. +49 211 824-36001
Fax +49 211 824-36005